digitalcoin Community

[ANN] Dub - A Lightweight Wallet for Digitalcoin & digitalcoinj

Author Topic: [ANN] Dub - A Lightweight Wallet for Digitalcoin & digitalcoinj  (Read 5993 times)

ShimalH

• View Profile
[ANN] Dub - A Lightweight Wallet for Digitalcoin & digitalcoinj
« on: January 26, 2014, 01:06:33 PM »
Hi all

Recently a few people have questioned my credibility and have put all sorts of labels on me. Well this is my answer to them.

Dub is a lightweight Digitalcoin client based upon MultiBit. Dub stands for Digitalcoin Hub (more on that later) I initally got the idea for it a while before I began work on Coinmart. When I was not working on Coinmart I continued my work on Dub as a side project.

Here are some quick facts:

• Dub is the first lightweight wallet that supports a cryptocurrency other than Bitcoin.
  • No other cryptocurrency, not even Litecoin, has a lightweight wallet
  • The platform which it runs on, digitalcoinj, is only the third Java implementation of a cryptocurrency's protocol after Bitcoin and Litecoin

Download Links

Windows : http://getdub.com/packages/Windows/dub-0.1.1-windows-setup.exe
Mac : http://getdub.com/packages/Mac/dub-exe.jar
Linux : http://getdub.com/packages/Linux/dub-0.1.1-linux.jar

Here's a screenshot of how Dub looks :

If you find any bugs or errors let me know

digitalcoinj

digitalcoinj is a Java implementation of the Digitalcoin protocol which allows it to maintain a wallet and send/receive transactions without needing a local copy of the official implementation. digitalcoinj is a port of litecoinj and bitcoinj to work with the Digitalcoin protocol. You can find the source code for digitalcoinj here : https://github.com/ShimalH/digitalcoinj

More Info

Coinmart will be integrated with Dub allowing you purchase items directly from your wallet. We have pushed Coinmart's launch date to 1 March to facilitate this feature
There currently is a 0.3% transaction fee. This will only be active for the next few months while we work on new features for Dub
I have contracted another external developer to help me work on Dub while the rest of the development team work on Coinmart.

Future Features

I mentioned earlier that I wanted Dub to be more of a Digitalcoin Hub rather than just a wallet. These are just some of the features which we hope to add to Dub in the near future to make it more of a hub.

Decentralized Exchange - This is a big one, we are currently in the concept phase. One of the big problems with the concept of a decentralized exchange has been how to track wheter a user has completed the transfer of a fiat currency. We believed we've solved that problem by proposing to integrate a payment gateway directly into each Dub client. The only problem is that we would have to develop the payment gateway ourselves which will be a very time consuming task.

Lotto - Another feature in the concept phase. I'm sure many if not all of you have taken the lotto at some point. Well if you can do it with USD or any other fiat currency why not with Digitalcoin? Users would pay an amount around 50 DGC for an e-ticket. The 50 DGC will then be added to a decentralized jackpot (small sums of Digitalcoins will be distributed out to each client, but will be inaccessible by the users themselves) Your chances of winning increases with the number of e-tickets you've bought. A winner will be picked at random by the system and will win the jackpot.

Integrated P2P Pool & Mining This feature has been requested a lot. GUIminer-Scrypt will be integrated into Dub along with a P2P pool. The Pool would be integrated directly into Dub meaning that rewards would show up automatically in the user's wallet.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 08:57:51 AM by ShimalH »

bborenstein

• View Profile
Re: [ANN] Dub - A Lightweight Wallet for Digitalcoin & digitalcoinj
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 05:34:10 PM »
sounds great cant wait

baritus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 05:45:53 PM »
Great work here :).
Digitalcoin/SecureCoin/Argentum Developer

scorpty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 06:01:08 PM »
Great work!

Will there also be a simple way of mining available? So e.g. a drop down box to select a p2p pool (no registration needed) and the amount of computing power you want to use for mining, and a start button. So it will also be easy for noobs to mine some dgc.  :)

ShimalH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 06:34:18 PM »
Great work!

Will there also be a simple way of mining available? So e.g. a drop down box to select a p2p pool (no registration needed) and the amount of computing power you want to use for mining, and a start button. So it will also be easy for noobs to mine some dgc.  :)

Yes I've thought about integrating GUIminer-Scrypt into Dub with a integrated P2P pool. The Pool would be integrated directly into Dub meaning that rewards would show up automatically in the user's wallet. One thing that I'd like to do with this is provide a better visualisation method than just showing K/hashes. This would help new users better understand the speed at which their mining in comparison to the rest of the pool.

threestar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 07:02:04 PM »
Really fantastic work here--- a lightweight client was a must for DGC's future, and I think this will prove to be (one of several) game changers for DGC. Seems to be working great, too! The client synced with the block chain in less than 10 minutes!

Can't wait to see this continue to be developed. Thanks for your work!

GrandUser

• View Profile
    • Криптовалюта Digitalcoin (DGC)
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 07:31:44 PM »
This is wonderful! I have already talked about your lightweight client Russian-speaking community!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:54:56 PM by GrandUser »

scorpty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 08:46:09 PM »
Yes I've thought about integrating GUIminer-Scrypt into Dub with a integrated P2P pool. The Pool would be integrated directly into Dub meaning that rewards would show up automatically in the user's wallet. One thing that I'd like to do with this is provide a better visualisation method than just showing K/hashes. This would help new users better understand the speed at which their mining in comparison to the rest of the pool.
Nice!

How does this light version actually work? It doesn't download the whole blockchain?

techbytes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CryptoPools
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 09:55:23 PM »
This is awesome indeed.

Can this be used to run on a USB flash drive?  Would be a nice portability feature.

-tb-

.kugt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 11:31:42 PM »
Coinmart will be integrated with Dub allowing you purchase items directly from your wallet. We have pushed Coinmart's launch date to 1 March to facilitate this feature
There currently is a 0.3% transaction fee. This will only be active for the next few months while we work on new features for Dub
I have contracted another external developer to help me work on Dub while the rest of the development team work on Coinmart.

this does not sound 'light'... more like bloatware

dempsy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 02:14:38 AM »

this does not sound 'light'... more like bloatware

explain

RunningmanZ

• "DGC FTW! ;D"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 02:57:28 AM »
Nice work Shamal! Sounds very good. So this 'light' wallet means you don't have to download the blockchain locally right?

. In regards an integrated mining feature for dgc something along the lines of a bitminter type interface would be great

This will be a big advantage to our community if done right integrating various services into the wallet. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 05:23:19 AM by RunningmanZ »

Memn0n

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 11:06:54 AM »
Looks great, need to check that out when I get home !

ShimalH

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 04:36:41 PM »
This is awesome indeed.

Can this be used to run on a USB flash drive?  Would be a nice portability feature.

-tb-

We haven't tested Dub on a USB yet, but we will once I've released the fully finished version this Saturday

ShimalH

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 04:40:15 PM »
Nice!

How does this light version actually work? It doesn't download the whole blockchain?

Dub makes use of a simplified payment verification. Only transactions that are relevant to the wallet are stored.